To maintain quality in the services provided to the learners.
To ensure continuous improvement in the entire operations of the Higher Educational Institution.
To identify the key areas in which the Higher Educational Institution should maintain quality.
To disseminate information on quality assurance.
To devise mechanisms for interaction and obtaining feedback from various Departments or Centres or Schools in the Higher Educational Institution.
To suggest to the authorities of the Higher Educational Institution, measures for qualitative improvement.
To ensure the implementation of its recommendations through regular monitoring.
To ensure participation of all stakeholders namely, learners, teachers, staff, parents, society, employers, and Government in quality improvement processes.
To prepare Programme Project Report and ensure another launch of programme (s).
Collection, collation and dissemination of accurate, complete and reliable statistics about the quality of the programme (s).
To fulfill the above objectives the Centre for Internal Quality Assurance shall
Prepare a Programme Project Report for each programme according to the norms and guidelines prescribed by the Commission and wherever necessary by the appropriate regulatory authority having control over the programme;
Get the Programme Project Report approved by the appropriate authority of the Higher Educational Institution and the Commission before launch of the programme;
Oversee the development of Study Learning Material (SLM), integration of Information and Communication Technology (ICT), setting up of Learning Centres and coordination with the parent institution and relevant Regulatory authorities;
Put in place monitoring mechanism to ensure the proper implementation of Programme Project Reports;
Design annual plans for quality level enhancement at the level of the Higher Educational Institution and ensure their implementation;
Arrange for feedback responses from students, employers and other stakeholders for quality related institutional processes;
Develop quality benchmarks or parameters for the various academic and administrative activities of the Higher Educational Institution;
Obtain information from other Higher Educational Institutions on various quality benchmarks or parameters and best practices;
Organise workshops or seminars on quality related themes and Higher Educational Institution wise dissemination of the proceedings of such activities;
Suggest restructuring of programmes in order to make them relevant to the job market;
Develop and implement innovative practices in major areas leading to quality enhancement in services to the learners;
Create learner centric environment rather than institution centric environment;
Cultivate creativity and innovation in the faculty and staff;
Adopt measures to ensure internalisation and institutionalisation of quality enhancement practices through periodic accreditation and audit;
Conduct or encourage system based research to bring about qualitative change in the entire system;
Coordinate between the Higher Educational Institution and the Commission for various quality related issues or guidelines;
Record activities undertaken on quality assurance in the form of an annual report; and
To coordinate recognition and accreditation of the Higher Educational Institution.
CIQA of IDE shall perform following functions:-
(i) decide policies for programme development methodology and programme delivery mechanism that are aligned with the vision and mission of the Higher Educational Institution;
(ii) advice on any issues related to programme development, Information and Communication Technology intervention and implementation, learning and teaching, collaboration referred to the Committee;
(iii) supervise academic approval and related modification procedures and to ensure that programmes satisfy stated design requirements and academic standards appropriate to the type and level of award as per philosophy of the Distance Learning mode of education;
(iv) promote automation of academic and administrative activities of the Higher Educational Institution, Regional Centres and Study Centres or Learning Support Centres;
(v) oversee and report on the effectiveness of systems for self-evaluation and monitoring;
(vi) appoint external subject experts or agencies or organisations for validation and annual review of its in-house process, its Learner Support Centres, Open and Distance Learning mode programmes etc.;
(vii) appoint third party auditing bodies for quality audit of programme(s);
(viii) approval of Self-Appraisal Report to be submitted to the Assessment and Accreditation agencies on behalf of Higher Educational Institution;
(ix) promote collaboration and association for quality enhancement of Open and Distance Learning mode of education and research therein; and
(x) encourage industrial involvement and industry-institution linkage for providing exposure to the learners.
Members of CIQA
1. Dr.R.Srinivasan, Professor, IDE - Director
2. Dr.B.Devemaindhan, Associate Professor, IDE - Member
3. Dr.S.Sasikala, Assistant Professor, IDE - Member
4. Dr.T.R.Gopalakrishnan, Assistant Professor,IDE - Member
5. Tmt.A. Renuka, Deputy Registrar, IDE - Member
6. Tmt. M. Banumathy, Account Officer, IDE - Member
7. Tmt. Wilma Agnes Chirostopher, Assistant Registrar, IDE - Member
Ongoing Activities and Institutional Roadmap
Introduction of innovative, market-driven Diploma and Certificate Program covering areas like Data Science, Artificial Intelligence and Digital Content Creation.
Introduction of Diploma and Certificate Program that serve as bridge courses to meet the needs of existing students in affiliated colleges for various fields such as commerce, management studies.
Design, development and deployment of Online/E-learning programs through SWAYAM Portal based on Four-Quadrant Model suggested by UGC.
Establishment of state of the art audio-visual and instructional design studio for development of e-content, course materials.
Introduction of B.Ed program to meet the growing demands from teaching community.
Establishment of professionally managed Grievance Cell to address the needs of the learners.
Implementation of reforms for responsive administration and streamlining online payments.
Periodic appraisal and updating of IDE study materials to make it topical and relevant.
Preparation for next round of NAAC Assessment with a target of reaching the highest score in the country.
Best Practices in Quality Assurance in IDE- University of Madras
To provide quality education and strike for academic excellence, the following steps have been taken by the Directorate of Distance Education of University of Madras. The best practices adopted by the university have been functioning with the framework of UGC-ODL Regulation (2017):
• Study Material has been designed and developed along well-established SLM (Self-Instructional Mode) format and are written by experts and highly qualified resource persons.
• The entire course material is available online for students to download.
• IDE has ensured consistency in syllabus between regular mode and distance mode. This has enabled students to transfer credits and switch mode of study without loss in syllabus coverage or credits. Both IDE and Regular Department curriculum are periodically updated by the Board of Studies to reflect the current state of knowledge in the field.
• Each approved program has a course co-ordinator and the adequate staff support to ensure that the programs run smoothly and student’s queries are addressed without delay.
• Grievance Cell has been established to serve the needs of the students and dedicated staffs ensure that the issues are addressed quickly.
• PCP classes are regularly conducted as per schedule and students are informed well in advance to make sure that they have opportunity to attend these sessions.
• Students are regularly provided updates and SMS notifications with regard to PCP classes, Internal Assessment, Examination Dates, and Fee Payments etc. Further alerts and reminders are provided via email.
• Online fee payment system has been established so that the students can pay their fee from anywhere and at any time.
• The infrastructure of the IDE has been built with due consideration to differently abled persons. Further the IDE website has been designed with Accessibility Principles to ensure equal opportunity and access.
• IDE is providing scholarships for student under various government schemes. A special cell has been established to assist in this process.
• IDE has implemented prescribed norms and standards for operations of Students Learning Centres established in affiliated colleges. Learning Centres provide students support services and help them achieve their academic goals. Inspections committees visit the Learning Centres to ensure that they perform as per expectations.
Minutes of the Meetings
1st Meeting of the centre of Internal Quality Assurance (CIQA), IDE, UNOM: 23-10-2019
Agenda of the first CIQA meeting and Minutes of the first CIQA meeting
Agenda Notes of the Centre for Internal Quality Assurance (CIQA) meeting of Institute of Distance Education (IDE), University of Madras scheduled to be held on 23 October 2019 at IDE building, University of Madras, Chepauk, Chennai-600 005.
The following agenda items will be discussed
1. Project Programme Report (PPR) of all the Master and Bachelor Degree programmes will be reviewed and finalised in terms of quality, adoption and contextualization of syllabus.
2. Self learning materials will be reviewed and standardize in terms of quality.
3. Pattern for Term end examination question papers in PG and UG programmes will be reviewed and finalised in terms of quality.
4. Continues Assessment format for PG and will be discussed and finalised.
5. Scope for field work activities, seminars, workshops etc., for various programmes will be discussed and finalised.
6. Preparation of learning materials in Multiple Media and such as Self Learning Material, e-Content, Auto Video content etc., according to set standards and requirement.
7. Standard strategy and procedure to be discussed and decided on monitoring mechanism for student feedback on counselling.